For everything Jim Jones raps about – ballin, girls, coke, more ballin – the self-proclaimed King of Harlem knows and respects the history of the game he currently plays, and on Jones’ new track Wishing on a Sucker MC, he shows that respect by teaming up with Run DMC co-founder and hip-hop legend Rev Run. Produced by Run and Cass & Dubbs, the track’s beat is clearly influenced by Run DMC’s early days, and in a way Wishing also serves as an homage to the group, with Jones adding some contemporary lyrics to resonate with younger fans as well as paying tribute to a true hip-hop icon: “Hey Run, it’s still your house.” For his part, it’s good to hear that the Rev can still sound fresh, though I wish one of the two emcees added another verse to the last two minutes of the track, which is just filled with some female vocals. Wishing is the first leak off the Ghost of a Rich Porter Mixtape, which currently has no release date.
Written by matt juss on 12/13/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Fly High (Remix)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.