For everything Jim Jones raps about – ballin, girls, coke, more ballin – the self-proclaimed King of Harlem knows and respects the history of the game he currently plays, and on Jones’ new track Wishing on a Sucker MC, he shows that respect by teaming up with Run DMC co-founder and hip-hop legend Rev Run. Produced by Run and Cass & Dubbs, the track’s beat is clearly influenced by Run DMC’s early days, and in a way Wishing also serves as an homage to the group, with Jones adding some contemporary lyrics to resonate with younger fans as well as paying tribute to a true hip-hop icon: “Hey Run, it’s still your house.” For his part, it’s good to hear that the Rev can still sound fresh, though I wish one of the two emcees added another verse to the last two minutes of the track, which is just filled with some female vocals. Wishing is the first leak off the Ghost of a Rich Porter Mixtape, which currently has no release date.
Written by matt juss on 12/13/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Fly High (Remix)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.