For everything Jim Jones raps about – ballin, girls, coke, more ballin – the self-proclaimed King of Harlem knows and respects the history of the game he currently plays, and on Jones’ new track Wishing on a Sucker MC, he shows that respect by teaming up with Run DMC co-founder and hip-hop legend Rev Run. Produced by Run and Cass & Dubbs, the track’s beat is clearly influenced by Run DMC’s early days, and in a way Wishing also serves as an homage to the group, with Jones adding some contemporary lyrics to resonate with younger fans as well as paying tribute to a true hip-hop icon: “Hey Run, it’s still your house.” For his part, it’s good to hear that the Rev can still sound fresh, though I wish one of the two emcees added another verse to the last two minutes of the track, which is just filled with some female vocals. Wishing is the first leak off the Ghost of a Rich Porter Mixtape, which currently has no release date.
Written by matt juss on 12/13/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Fly High (Remix)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.