For everything Jim Jones raps about – ballin, girls, coke, more ballin – the self-proclaimed King of Harlem knows and respects the history of the game he currently plays, and on Jones’ new track Wishing on a Sucker MC, he shows that respect by teaming up with Run DMC co-founder and hip-hop legend Rev Run. Produced by Run and Cass & Dubbs, the track’s beat is clearly influenced by Run DMC’s early days, and in a way Wishing also serves as an homage to the group, with Jones adding some contemporary lyrics to resonate with younger fans as well as paying tribute to a true hip-hop icon: “Hey Run, it’s still your house.” For his part, it’s good to hear that the Rev can still sound fresh, though I wish one of the two emcees added another verse to the last two minutes of the track, which is just filled with some female vocals. Wishing is the first leak off the Ghost of a Rich Porter Mixtape, which currently has no release date.
Written by matt juss on 12/13/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Fly High (Remix) ft. T.I., Young Dro, Diddy & Baby" (2006)
You Might Like...
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.