Harlem emcee Jim Jones teamed up with renowned mash-up DJ/producer Girl Talk for the latest episode of the Pitchfork TV series Selector and the progeny of their collective efforts is currently playing in your headphones, Believe In Magic. Producer Girl Talk loops energetic strings from vintage girl group Honey Cone’s Want Ads and mixes in a healthy serving of kickdrum action over a robust bassline to give the track a certain vibrancy that makes you want to lace up a pair of rollerskates and get on your “Roll, Bounce” isht. Jim Jones inserts his freestyle, rife with his patented braggadocio over the infectious composition and per the usual, his adlibs never cease to be amusing. After it was all finished, Jones was digging the track so much that he recruited R&B vocalist Lloyd to be on the hook. While this does not appear on Jim Jones’ latest album Capo, he plans to release it as an official single soon, according to Pitchfork.com. To watch how the magic all unfolded, check the latest episode of Selector over at Pitchfork.TV and stay tuned to DJBooth for more adlibs and nonsensical rhymes from Jim Jones.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 05/10/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Fly High (Remix) ft. T.I., Young Dro, Diddy & Baby" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.