If you haven’t been paying attention to Jhené Aiko, now might be a good time to start by checking out her new video single Mirrors. With stark, dream-like visuals of a stage and dressing room that are likely to invite comparisons to the 2010 thriller Black Swan, we watch a leotard and tutu-clad Aiko slink around among shadowy surroundings in a manner that appears more wounded than seductive. Does anyone else feel like this could turn into a David Lynch movie at any moment? Director Topshelf Junior seems to have done his homework and it pays off. Between the haunting black-and-white visuals and Jhené‘s light vocals over producer KeY Wane‘s heavy ambient sounds it feels like we’re being lulled into a hypnotic state. If this is indicative of what we can expect from Aiko’s ‘13 Def Jam debut, we’ll definitely be on the lookout for more from her in the near future.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 12/5/12
Where is Jhene’s vocal range? You just keep waiting on it to arrive, but it never does, like a part-midnight food delivery that never arrives, or the retrospectively-absurd Christmas present you wanted for years and never...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Love We Trust" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.