If you haven’t been paying attention to Jhené Aiko, now might be a good time to start by checking out her new video single Mirrors. With stark, dream-like visuals of a stage and dressing room that are likely to invite comparisons to the 2010 thriller Black Swan, we watch a leotard and tutu-clad Aiko slink around among shadowy surroundings in a manner that appears more wounded than seductive. Does anyone else feel like this could turn into a David Lynch movie at any moment? Director Topshelf Junior seems to have done his homework and it pays off. Between the haunting black-and-white visuals and Jhené‘s light vocals over producer KeY Wane‘s heavy ambient sounds it feels like we’re being lulled into a hypnotic state. If this is indicative of what we can expect from Aiko’s ‘13 Def Jam debut, we’ll definitely be on the lookout for more from her in the near future.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 12/5/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Love We Trust" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)