If you haven’t been paying attention to Jhené Aiko, now might be a good time to start by checking out her new video single Mirrors. With stark, dream-like visuals of a stage and dressing room that are likely to invite comparisons to the 2010 thriller Black Swan, we watch a leotard and tutu-clad Aiko slink around among shadowy surroundings in a manner that appears more wounded than seductive. Does anyone else feel like this could turn into a David Lynch movie at any moment? Director Topshelf Junior seems to have done his homework and it pays off. Between the haunting black-and-white visuals and Jhené‘s light vocals over producer KeY Wane‘s heavy ambient sounds it feels like we’re being lulled into a hypnotic state. If this is indicative of what we can expect from Aiko’s ‘13 Def Jam debut, we’ll definitely be on the lookout for more from her in the near future.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 12/5/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Love We Trust" (2011)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.