Love is a little like fairies. Yes, I realize I lost a couple dozen masculinity points for even typing that sentence, but roll with me here: it draws its strength from human belief therein—and when that foundation crumbles, it vanishes in a cloud of bitterness and sparkly dust. Realizing the importance of holding onto hope come what may, Jhené Aiko resolves to believe for all those who can’t on her first Booth feature, In Love We Trust. A little grittier than your average R&B jam, this promo single finds producer K. Roosevelt crafting a slow-burning synth instrumental to back the rising R&B starlet as she details the plight of several individuals who’ve been beaten down by fortune’s slings and arrows—from a young woman who’s been “used and abused” by every man she’s ever met, to an inner-city man dealing drugs to support his one-year-old son. Cali buzzmaker Casey Veggies guests on the back, attempting to convince a romantic interest that he’s not like the fellas who broke her heart in the past. Has this cut made a believer of you? While Aiko has yet to reveal details on any forthcoming project, you can keep it locked you-know-where for all the latest from this talented up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 11/7/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Terrorist Threats" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.