It’s quite a rarity to come across a song that’s truly heartfelt and genuine, but Los Angeles vocalist Jhené Aiko has done just that on For My Brother. Written for her brother Miyagi, who passed away last week after a long battle with cancer, For My Brother is a somber yet beautiful record in which Aiko reminisces on time spent with her older sibling and best friend. On top of her haunting vocals, Aiko also provides For My Brother with its airy production. According to Aiko’s Tumblr, the singer reveals that her brother was fortunately able to listen to this fitting tribute before his passing. While For My Brother, which serves as Aiko’s second solo Booth feature, isn’t attached to any upcoming projects, the singer is working closely with producer No I.D. on her formal debut album on Def Jam.
Written by Danielle H. on 07/26/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Love We Trust" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.