It’s quite a rarity to come across a song that’s truly heartfelt and genuine, but Los Angeles vocalist Jhené Aiko has done just that on For My Brother. Written for her brother Miyagi, who passed away last week after a long battle with cancer, For My Brother is a somber yet beautiful record in which Aiko reminisces on time spent with her older sibling and best friend. On top of her haunting vocals, Aiko also provides For My Brother with its airy production. According to Aiko’s Tumblr, the singer reveals that her brother was fortunately able to listen to this fitting tribute before his passing. While For My Brother, which serves as Aiko’s second solo Booth feature, isn’t attached to any upcoming projects, the singer is working closely with producer No I.D. on her formal debut album on Def Jam.
Written by Danielle H. on 07/26/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Love We Trust" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Every Girl Drake’s Ever Mentioned in a Song Ever
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.