It’s quite a rarity to come across a song that’s truly heartfelt and genuine, but Los Angeles vocalist Jhené Aiko has done just that on For My Brother. Written for her brother Miyagi, who passed away last week after a long battle with cancer, For My Brother is a somber yet beautiful record in which Aiko reminisces on time spent with her older sibling and best friend. On top of her haunting vocals, Aiko also provides For My Brother with its airy production. According to Aiko’s Tumblr, the singer reveals that her brother was fortunately able to listen to this fitting tribute before his passing. While For My Brother, which serves as Aiko’s second solo Booth feature, isn’t attached to any upcoming projects, the singer is working closely with producer No I.D. on her formal debut album on Def Jam.
Written by Danielle H. on 07/26/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Love We Trust" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.