When I first read the title of Jhené Aiko‘s latest single, I immediately envisioned an R&B sequel to Eminem‘s blood-soaked 3 AM—and the eerie opening shots of Topshelf Junior‘s video only strengthened that impression. For better or for worse, though, 3:16 AM doesn’t feature the Def Jam pop songstress on a murderous rampage. Instead, this brooding cut sees her directing her frustration inward, lacing frequent Miguel collaborator Fisticuffs’ haunting production with cryptic reflections on a doomed relationship. For this smoldering selection and much more, grab a copy of Aiko’s Sail Out EP when it hits record store shelves and online retailers at a yet unspecified future date. In the meantime, keep it locked for the latest.
Written by richard on 08/22/12
Where is Jhene’s vocal range? You just keep waiting on it to arrive, but it never does, like a part-midnight food delivery that never arrives, or the retrospectively-absurd Christmas present you wanted for years and never...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In Love We Trust" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.