As a young goon in the streets…alright, let’s start over. As a young kid in a small Midwest town, my first introduction to the Left Coast was via TV shows like Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Saved By The Bell. Emcees J.Good and Co$$, on the other hand, have been steeped in the Left Coast since birth, as made clear on Good’s aptly-titled, Saved By The Bell. Produced by Lakim, SBTB flips a French sample into a boom-bap type beat that emcees make sure to go in over. Co$$ begins by discussing how he actually used to run with goons as a teen, but still managed to hit up ice cream trucks and catch movies. Good then takes the hand off, romanticizing memories of getting high on campus and then skipping class to write songs. We can only assume school wasn’t J. Good’s favorite part of the day, but with singles like Saved By The Bell we’re glad he skipped class to hone his writing skills. SBTB is the first single from Good’s upcoming concept album, Bluffington High, due out soon.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cali So(u)l" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.