As a young goon in the streets…alright, let’s start over. As a young kid in a small Midwest town, my first introduction to the Left Coast was via TV shows like Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Saved By The Bell. Emcees J.Good and Co$$, on the other hand, have been steeped in the Left Coast since birth, as made clear on Good’s aptly-titled, Saved By The Bell. Produced by Lakim, SBTB flips a French sample into a boom-bap type beat that emcees make sure to go in over. Co$$ begins by discussing how he actually used to run with goons as a teen, but still managed to hit up ice cream trucks and catch movies. Good then takes the hand off, romanticizing memories of getting high on campus and then skipping class to write songs. We can only assume school wasn’t J. Good’s favorite part of the day, but with singles like Saved By The Bell we’re glad he skipped class to hone his writing skills. SBTB is the first single from Good’s upcoming concept album, Bluffington High, due out soon.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 09/14/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cali So(u)l" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.