As a young goon in the streets…alright, let’s start over. As a young kid in a small Midwest town, my first introduction to the Left Coast was via TV shows like Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Saved By The Bell. Emcees J.Good and Co$$, on the other hand, have been steeped in the Left Coast since birth, as made clear on Good’s aptly-titled, Saved By The Bell. Produced by Lakim, SBTB flips a French sample into a boom-bap type beat that emcees make sure to go in over. Co$$ begins by discussing how he actually used to run with goons as a teen, but still managed to hit up ice cream trucks and catch movies. Good then takes the hand off, romanticizing memories of getting high on campus and then skipping class to write songs. We can only assume school wasn’t J. Good’s favorite part of the day, but with singles like Saved By The Bell we’re glad he skipped class to hone his writing skills. SBTB is the first single from Good’s upcoming concept album, Bluffington High, due out soon.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 09/14/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cali So(u)l" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.