It’s not every unsigned, up-and-coming R&B singer who gets to hop on a RZA beat on their debut project. In fact—and feel free to school me on this if I’ve missed anyone—Jessy Wilson is the only artist, to my knowledge, who fits that description. A prolific songwriter who recently decided to branch out, the buzzmaking soul songstress grabs a bluesy instrumental by the Wu-Tang head honcho (sampled from Grand Funk’s cut of the same title) to back her on Heartbreaker, an EP single which finds her venting her fury at a fella who refused to shape up over the course of their many years together. Have this record’s vintage stylings, along with the artist’s strong pipes, won Jessy Wilson a place in your heart? Then you won’t want to miss the rest of the fresh tunes to be found on her Last Song About You EP, scheduled for release this fall.
Written by richard on 08/23/12
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.