It’s not every unsigned, up-and-coming R&B singer who gets to hop on a RZA beat on their debut project. In fact—and feel free to school me on this if I’ve missed anyone—Jessy Wilson is the only artist, to my knowledge, who fits that description. A prolific songwriter who recently decided to branch out, the buzzmaking soul songstress grabs a bluesy instrumental by the Wu-Tang head honcho (sampled from Grand Funk’s cut of the same title) to back her on Heartbreaker, an EP single which finds her venting her fury at a fella who refused to shape up over the course of their many years together. Have this record’s vintage stylings, along with the artist’s strong pipes, won Jessy Wilson a place in your heart? Then you won’t want to miss the rest of the fresh tunes to be found on her Last Song About You EP, scheduled for release this fall.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.