You can learn a lot about a person from his or her favorite pastimes. Booth newcomer Jesse Medina, for example, is obsessed with accumulating currency. OK, that doesn’t exactly set him apart his peers in the game, but those who give new mixtape single Get Money a spin will walk away with a good idea of what makes the Bay Area repper unique in his field. Rather that the street-ready production you’d expect from the record’s theme and title, this joint boasts a melodic groove with a tuneful, old-school vibe, courtesy of track co-headliner Nottz. Over his collaborator’s keyboard loops and boom-bap percussion, Medina offers an irreverent take on the paper chase, brushing off those who would criticize his focus on lucre: “They say money isn’t everything, but the funny thing’s / A f*ckin’ dollar man will barely get you anything.” Now that you’ve been properly introduced, are you craving more from this West Coast hopeful? Then keep it locked for further singles leading up to the April 1, release of new mixtape Meet Jesse Medina, featuring appearances by the likes of Ab-Soul and Sir Michael Rocks.
Written by richard on 01/23/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"So Called Friends" (2014)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.