You can learn a lot about a person from his or her favorite pastimes. Booth newcomer Jesse Medina, for example, is obsessed with accumulating currency. OK, that doesn’t exactly set him apart his peers in the game, but those who give new mixtape single Get Money a spin will walk away with a good idea of what makes the Bay Area repper unique in his field. Rather that the street-ready production you’d expect from the record’s theme and title, this joint boasts a melodic groove with a tuneful, old-school vibe, courtesy of track co-headliner Nottz. Over his collaborator’s keyboard loops and boom-bap percussion, Medina offers an irreverent take on the paper chase, brushing off those who would criticize his focus on lucre: “They say money isn’t everything, but the funny thing’s / A f*ckin’ dollar man will barely get you anything.” Now that you’ve been properly introduced, are you craving more from this West Coast hopeful? Then keep it locked for further singles leading up to the April 1, release of new mixtape Meet Jesse Medina, featuring appearances by the likes of Ab-Soul and Sir Michael Rocks.
Written by richard on 01/23/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"So Called Friends" (2014)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Adrian Lau - The Departed
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- Drake - 6 God EP
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.