For single number two from his newly-released album One Day, emcee Jesse Abraham rolls out a feature from Blu over an !llmind beat, culminating in Words Past The Margin. On the production tip !ll unleashes a beat filled with boom-bap drums and edgy electric guitar stabs, drawing vocal samples from Nas and Lauryn Hill to build the song’s chorus (who else would have loved to have heard some scratches?). While Abraham might lack a little in microphone charisma he delivers bars worth dissecting on Words Past, flexing his complex vocabulary in a way that makes sense, making his verses easily digestible to those that enjoy combing through lyrics. As for Blu, the enigmatic west coast emcee shines on the record, but does he overshadow the headliner? I’ll leave that for the Booth to decide. Ultimately this won’t be the song that makes Jesse a household name, but that’s not his aim here. Fans of niche lyricism should find plenty to be happy about…and plenty more on his newly re-released One Day album, available for free stream and download here.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Spiderman on Vitamins" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.