For single number two from his newly-released album One Day, emcee Jesse Abraham rolls out a feature from Blu over an !llmind beat, culminating in Words Past The Margin. On the production tip !ll unleashes a beat filled with boom-bap drums and edgy electric guitar stabs, drawing vocal samples from Nas and Lauryn Hill to build the song’s chorus (who else would have loved to have heard some scratches?). While Abraham might lack a little in microphone charisma he delivers bars worth dissecting on Words Past, flexing his complex vocabulary in a way that makes sense, making his verses easily digestible to those that enjoy combing through lyrics. As for Blu, the enigmatic west coast emcee shines on the record, but does he overshadow the headliner? I’ll leave that for the Booth to decide. Ultimately this won’t be the song that makes Jesse a household name, but that’s not his aim here. Fans of niche lyricism should find plenty to be happy about…and plenty more on his newly re-released One Day album, available for free stream and download here.
Written by JC Poppe on 06/21/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Spiderman on Vitamins" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.