As mercenary and image-driven as today’s music industry often seems, the fact remains: even the savviest marketing plan is no substitute for a compelling and unique artistic Vision. Oakland, CA native (and first-time featuree) Jern Eye feels like he’s got a clearer view of the game than the rest, and, on the latest leak off his forthcoming sophomore full-length, he and a few likeminded Bay Area neighbors link up to share their perspective with Booth readers. Get Right finds Jern Eye, Mistah F.A.B., and Zion I‘s Zumbi flowing over a brassy soul-sampling instrumental by Seattle beatsmith Jake One. Advising artists to concentrate on honing their skills rather than chasing after every passing bandwagon, Jern showcases a sharply-focused style sure to impress our resident lyrical heads, and his guest collaborators exhibit equally keen insight in their densely-packed middle and closing bars. For more from this up-and-coming hip-hop ophthalmologist, grab a copy of Vision when it hits record stores and online retailers on October 13th.
Written by richard on 08/30/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Park Bench" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.