As mercenary and image-driven as today’s music industry often seems, the fact remains: even the savviest marketing plan is no substitute for a compelling and unique artistic Vision. Oakland, CA native (and first-time featuree) Jern Eye feels like he’s got a clearer view of the game than the rest, and, on the latest leak off his forthcoming sophomore full-length, he and a few likeminded Bay Area neighbors link up to share their perspective with Booth readers. Get Right finds Jern Eye, Mistah F.A.B., and Zion I‘s Zumbi flowing over a brassy soul-sampling instrumental by Seattle beatsmith Jake One. Advising artists to concentrate on honing their skills rather than chasing after every passing bandwagon, Jern showcases a sharply-focused style sure to impress our resident lyrical heads, and his guest collaborators exhibit equally keen insight in their densely-packed middle and closing bars. For more from this up-and-coming hip-hop ophthalmologist, grab a copy of Vision when it hits record stores and online retailers on October 13th.
Written by richard on 08/30/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Park Bench" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.