Could it really be?! Nobody’s flipped the White Stripes’ ‘03 smash, Seven Nation Army, into a hit hip-hop record? (Unless something’s totally slipped my mind, that is.) Here to rectify this sad state of affairs is musical jack-of-all-trades Jermaine Dupri with his latest single, I Heard Um Say. As usual, J.D. makes full use of his skills on both sides on the boards – over a chanted rendition of the genius riff that’s become our generation’s Smoke on the Water (that is to say, anyone can pick up a guitar or bass and play it with minimal practice), the So So Def heavyweight asks everyone in the spot step out onto the floor immediately. Lyrically, the man keeps things simple and energetic, spitting braggadocious, high-rolling game to a shawty at the local spot: “I’ve got the biggest house on the biggest side of town / Baby girl, you can call me Ric… Flair!” Will this track serve its intended purpose and pack club dancefloors across the nation? I’ll let you decide. In any case, J.D. devotees will want to keep it locked for details on the artist’s forthcoming full-length, which has yet to receive a title or solid release date.
Written by richard on 08/1/10
Submit your Rating
So So Def
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I'm Throwed ft. Jermaine Dupri" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)