With its attention-grabbing subject matter, Mick Schultz’ almost-ominous music-box beat, and that impossibly catchy, “Girl you know I-I-I” hook, Birthday Sex was pretty much destined to be a hit—that might simply be a case of 20/20 hindsight, but still, how can you possibly follow up a jam that white-hot? Jeremih‘s newly-released second single, Imma Star (Everywhere We Are) is sure to elicit comparisons to the singer’s breakout hit, but I’ll let the readers hash that one out—I’ll simply say that, judged on its own merits, this is one impressive jam. Over another slow-burning, eclectically catchy beat by Mick Shultz, the Chi-town native rejoices in his newfound superstardom; although the singer doesn’t break into another rapped verse a la Raindrops, his paper-stacking, ice-flashing lyrics drip with hip-hop-style swagger. At the end of the day, there’s no reason why Imma Star shouldn’t earn Jeremih yet another spot on our Top Picks chart (alongside Birthday Sex and Fabolous’ It’s My Time). Watch for Jeremih’s self-titled debut LP to drop on the 30th, and be sure to tune in for his exclusive interview with DJ Z in two weeks.
Written by richard on 06/11/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Birthday Sex" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.