Pretty much everyone in the Booth agreed that Jeremih‘s self-titled debut was a solid set, but will the Birthday Sex singer succeed in crafting a follow-up that will ensure his longevity in the game? Today, we have the beginning of an answer. Released to Windy City radio last Friday, lead single iLike has many of the elements that defined Jeremih’s past hits – a hypnotically sparse melody, steamy lyrics, a woozy, minor-key beat by production partner Mick Schultz... – but the overall texture feels fresh and new. The cut’s uniquely catchy vibe is bolstered by a repeated sound effect which I can only describe as “the popping of a cartoon soap bubble,” and, appropriately enough, the ever-freaky Ludacris kicks his guest verse off with a little bathtime imagery: “Let me touch your body, like when you be fresh up out the tub and you rub that lotion…” So, Booth, readers, do you like what Jeremih’s doing here – and, more to the point, will this jam help score the artist’s forthcoming sophomore album, All About You, a release date sooner than later? That, of course, is for Booth readers to debate, and all of us to find out…
Written by richard on 06/6/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Birthday Sex" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)