On a classic 1969 single, blues/soul legend Syl Johnson reflected on the sheer amount of struggle and disappointment he’d faced over the course of his life, wondering, “Is It Because I’m Black?” More than half a century later, Jered Sanders frequently finds himself pondering the same question. While the Elementality signee’s latest single, the follow-up to July’s Gorgeous, acknowledges the enduring impact of racism, the overall tone is proud and defiant, rather than despondent. Over Talen Ted‘s flip of the classic cut mentioned above, Sanders expresses his determination to do it big in the hip-hop game, despite the formidable set of obstacles that have been placed in his path. For this lyrically hard-hitting selection and many more bangers, check out Jered Sanders’ While You Were Waiting EP this Thursday (8/22), when it hits The DJBooth for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 08/19/13
Elementality Productions rhymesayer Jered Sanders has come together with The DJBooth to bring fans his debut EP, While You Were Waiting. The official prelude to his debut full-length, Gorgeous, which is set to drop this...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Stand Up!" (2012)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.