On a classic 1969 single, blues/soul legend Syl Johnson reflected on the sheer amount of struggle and disappointment he’d faced over the course of his life, wondering, “Is It Because I’m Black?” More than half a century later, Jered Sanders frequently finds himself pondering the same question. While the Elementality signee’s latest single, the follow-up to July’s Gorgeous, acknowledges the enduring impact of racism, the overall tone is proud and defiant, rather than despondent. Over Talen Ted‘s flip of the classic cut mentioned above, Sanders expresses his determination to do it big in the hip-hop game, despite the formidable set of obstacles that have been placed in his path. For this lyrically hard-hitting selection and many more bangers, check out Jered Sanders’ While You Were Waiting EP this Thursday (8/22), when it hits The DJBooth for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 08/19/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Stand Up!" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.