On a classic 1969 single, blues/soul legend Syl Johnson reflected on the sheer amount of struggle and disappointment he’d faced over the course of his life, wondering, “Is It Because I’m Black?” More than half a century later, Jered Sanders frequently finds himself pondering the same question. While the Elementality signee’s latest single, the follow-up to July’s Gorgeous, acknowledges the enduring impact of racism, the overall tone is proud and defiant, rather than despondent. Over Talen Ted‘s flip of the classic cut mentioned above, Sanders expresses his determination to do it big in the hip-hop game, despite the formidable set of obstacles that have been placed in his path. For this lyrically hard-hitting selection and many more bangers, check out Jered Sanders’ While You Were Waiting EP this Thursday (8/22), when it hits The DJBooth for free streaming and download.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Stand Up!" (2012)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.