On a classic 1969 single, blues/soul legend Syl Johnson reflected on the sheer amount of struggle and disappointment he’d faced over the course of his life, wondering, “Is It Because I’m Black?” More than half a century later, Jered Sanders frequently finds himself pondering the same question. While the Elementality signee’s latest single, the follow-up to July’s Gorgeous, acknowledges the enduring impact of racism, the overall tone is proud and defiant, rather than despondent. Over Talen Ted‘s flip of the classic cut mentioned above, Sanders expresses his determination to do it big in the hip-hop game, despite the formidable set of obstacles that have been placed in his path. For this lyrically hard-hitting selection and many more bangers, check out Jered Sanders’ While You Were Waiting EP this Thursday (8/22), when it hits The DJBooth for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 08/19/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Stand Up!" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.