Artists find inspiration in all sorts of places. Wiz Khalifa finds it in the burning joint in his fingers, Rick Ross finds it in the shaking booties of Magic City strippers and Eminem finds it, well, who knows how that man’s mind work. But the most powerful material can come simply from what’s right in front of us, as Jelani shows on new release Clarity. Coming right off the heels of previous release, Ok, You’re Up, Clarity finds the Harlem emcee encouraging listeners to see through his eyes as he navigates the streets of his city, a task that will no doubt be made easier thanks to a hypnotically soulful beat from Durkin (perhaps best know for his work with Black El). On the mic he keeps it as real as possible, offering an unfiltered view of the world humming around him: “You can find me on the city bus people watching / my speakers knockin with a new beat.” While Clarity doesn’t currently have a home, I’ve got no doubt that the clear thinking Jelani will envision one soon. When he does, you know where to turn for the latest details.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/26/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.