In 2004, Jeff Jones was all set to release his debut album, God Given. Unfortunately, just as the LP was being promoted, the Warner-distributed label he was signed to (Elektra Records) folded, leaving Jones without a deal. Nonetheless, the LA native has kept himself busy writing numerous hooks for producer Poli Paul (Chingy & Midwest City‘s Cadillac Doors, LAX Boyz & Jazze Pha‘s Ride Like This, Shawty Lo, Trey Songz, & Lil Wayne‘s Supplier), and is now finally ready to release his reworked debut album, I Smell Like Smoke Too, later this month. On single I Do What I Want To, the versatile emcee blends the key ingredients of both a street and a radio hit over trunk-rattling production by Will Campbell. Jones’ hit-making power is blindingly clear on this cut, so how long will it be before another major label picks him up again?
Written by Burmy on 01/7/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)