In 2004, Jeff Jones was all set to release his debut album, God Given. Unfortunately, just as the LP was being promoted, the Warner-distributed label he was signed to (Elektra Records) folded, leaving Jones without a deal. Nonetheless, the LA native has kept himself busy writing numerous hooks for producer Poli Paul (Chingy & Midwest City‘s Cadillac Doors, LAX Boyz & Jazze Pha‘s Ride Like This, Shawty Lo, Trey Songz, & Lil Wayne‘s Supplier), and is now finally ready to release his reworked debut album, I Smell Like Smoke Too, later this month. On single I Do What I Want To, the versatile emcee blends the key ingredients of both a street and a radio hit over trunk-rattling production by Will Campbell. Jones’ hit-making power is blindingly clear on this cut, so how long will it be before another major label picks him up again?
Written by Burmy on 01/7/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.