For most emcees, holding down one city is responsibility enough. Jeff Chery, on the other hand, has taken it upon himself to rep not one, but three ‘hoods—four, if you count his birthplace. On his latest single, making its world premiere right here on our front page, the perennial Booth fave compares his set of loyalties to a Cerberus-like mythological creature: “Born in Haiti, raised in Brooklyn, moved to the A, took trips to L.A… call those the Three Headed Monsters.” Funkybeats’ pensive, piano-laced instrumental, while not exactly funky, is a fittingly cinematic accompaniment to the artist’s lyrical pilgrimage. Due out in September, Chery’s next studio album currently lacks a title. While you’re waiting for further details, why not check out his last street release, the free, DJBooth-featured Jetset Vagabond LP?
Written by richard on 04/28/13
Submit your Rating
Team Rsinal Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Starz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.