This morning, we heard DanO come together with late Afrobeat pioneer and political activist Fela Kuti for Sounds of the Motherland, a cut dedicated to their mutual home country of Nigeria. On The People, a new single inspired by the mass shooting at Sandy Hook, Jeff Chery enlists the posthumous guest services of another icon of the black power movement, Huey P. Newton. With the help of the Black Panther Party leader (who appears in snippets from a 1966 prison interview), the longtime DJBooth fave complicates the current debate on gun violence by drawing attention to the brutally repressive police presence in American ghettos. Backed by the sampled production of Jae Monee, this thought-provoking jam is set to appear (along with the project’s recently-featured title track) on Chery’s Jetset Vagabond tape, scheduled for digital release February 19.
Written by richard on 01/31/13
Submit your Rating
Team Rsinal Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Starz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.