This morning, we heard DanO come together with late Afrobeat pioneer and political activist Fela Kuti for Sounds of the Motherland, a cut dedicated to their mutual home country of Nigeria. On The People, a new single inspired by the mass shooting at Sandy Hook, Jeff Chery enlists the posthumous guest services of another icon of the black power movement, Huey P. Newton. With the help of the Black Panther Party leader (who appears in snippets from a 1966 prison interview), the longtime DJBooth fave complicates the current debate on gun violence by drawing attention to the brutally repressive police presence in American ghettos. Backed by the sampled production of Jae Monee, this thought-provoking jam is set to appear (along with the project’s recently-featured title track) on Chery’s Jetset Vagabond tape, scheduled for digital release February 19.
Written by richard on 01/31/13
Team Rsinal Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Starz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)