Jeff Chery is a longtime Booth favorite—his last appearance was in July, with No Pressure—and on Hold Me Down, a Booth-exclusive world premiere, he reminds listeners why. Chery’s blunted, raspy and almost pained flow has a unique, bluesy vibe. So, too, do his verses, in which he confesses to having some “skeletons in [his] closet” and discusses losing a childhood homie. L&X Music’s production might be soul-sampled, but its enigmatic vibe meshes well with Chery’s vulnerable rhymes. Hold Me Down is not slated to appear on Chery’s forthcoming project with DJ Esco and DJ Dynamite, Vagatalk (due out in the spring), but surely more dopeness awaits…
Written by Lucas G. on 11/19/13
Submit your Rating
Team Rsinal Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Starz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Logic - Buried Alive
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.