The Pair, the inaugural leak off Jeff Chery‘s forthcoming collaborative mixtape with K. Sparks, found the Booth favorite and exclusive freestyle series alum kicking it old-school while spitting game to two pairs of old-school kicks… or chicks – well, you get the idea. On world premiere numero dos, Gotta Make It, Chery gets back to the grind, and to the spacey sound that’s characterized much of his recent work. Here, the atmospheric synths of producer Sam Sneed set the stage for a double-helping of braggadocious motivational lyricism, liberally laced with the emcee’s trademark allusive wit: “They fake money, so I just leave ‘em as counterfeits / J. don’t kiss, so respect my conglomerate.” L. Jaye, the R&B up-and-comer who enlisted Chery for his first Booth feature nearly a year back, returns the favor here, delivering a street-anthemic hook and a tuneful guest verse. Though this track should only get fans more amped for Luck of the Draw, some may be wondering when they’ll get to hear from JC’s Queens-based cohort. Worry not – the next two leaks will be Sparks-only, and every that then follows will feature both emcees.
Written by richard on 05/26/10
Submit your Rating
Team Rsinal Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Starz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.