The Pair, the inaugural leak off Jeff Chery‘s forthcoming collaborative mixtape with K. Sparks, found the Booth favorite and exclusive freestyle series alum kicking it old-school while spitting game to two pairs of old-school kicks… or chicks – well, you get the idea. On world premiere numero dos, Gotta Make It, Chery gets back to the grind, and to the spacey sound that’s characterized much of his recent work. Here, the atmospheric synths of producer Sam Sneed set the stage for a double-helping of braggadocious motivational lyricism, liberally laced with the emcee’s trademark allusive wit: “They fake money, so I just leave ‘em as counterfeits / J. don’t kiss, so respect my conglomerate.” L. Jaye, the R&B up-and-comer who enlisted Chery for his first Booth feature nearly a year back, returns the favor here, delivering a street-anthemic hook and a tuneful guest verse. Though this track should only get fans more amped for Luck of the Draw, some may be wondering when they’ll get to hear from JC’s Queens-based cohort. Worry not – the next two leaks will be Sparks-only, and every that then follows will feature both emcees.
Written by richard on 05/26/10
Submit your Rating
Team Rsinal Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Starz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.