The Pair, the inaugural leak off Jeff Chery‘s forthcoming collaborative mixtape with K. Sparks, found the Booth favorite and exclusive freestyle series alum kicking it old-school while spitting game to two pairs of old-school kicks… or chicks – well, you get the idea. On world premiere numero dos, Gotta Make It, Chery gets back to the grind, and to the spacey sound that’s characterized much of his recent work. Here, the atmospheric synths of producer Sam Sneed set the stage for a double-helping of braggadocious motivational lyricism, liberally laced with the emcee’s trademark allusive wit: “They fake money, so I just leave ‘em as counterfeits / J. don’t kiss, so respect my conglomerate.” L. Jaye, the R&B up-and-comer who enlisted Chery for his first Booth feature nearly a year back, returns the favor here, delivering a street-anthemic hook and a tuneful guest verse. Though this track should only get fans more amped for Luck of the Draw, some may be wondering when they’ll get to hear from JC’s Queens-based cohort. Worry not – the next two leaks will be Sparks-only, and every that then follows will feature both emcees.
Written by richard on 05/26/10
Team Rsinal Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Starz" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.