When Jeezy released Lose My Mind I had mixed feelings. Sure, the Drumma Boy produced knock-fest was sonically triumphant and Mr. Trap or Die’s hook was more infectious than the swine flu. But having Plies do a guest verse? That was more like an allergic reaction. Luckily, Jeezy recruits a much sicker emcee for the song’s latest remix as the fan-tested and mother-approved Drake lends his vocals to the menacing banger. Claiming that he “kinda sorta” loves women (yeah right lover guy), Drake delivers a quick 16 full of stunting without sounding out of place. And although he isn’t at his most lyrical here - “all seeing I (eye)/ my, I (eye) seen it all” - the Canadian heartthrob manages to drop this verse at the perfect time: the song premiered at last night’s BET Awards, he mentions monstrous first week sales of Thank Me Later and silences haters. Rappers: take note, this is how to drop a track in style. If this doesn’t do it, maybe you’ll get motivated to pick up a copy of Jeezy’s Thug Motivation 103 when it drops soon.
Written by Quentin Cuff on 06/28/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grew Up a Screw Up" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.