Outside, the sun may be shining and the birds may be chirping, but here in the the Booth the forecast is a little different; now that Gary, Indiana phenom Freddie Gibbs has officially aligned himself with Young Jeezy‘s Corporate Thugz Entertainment, it’s looking like “Snow! Snow! Snow! Snow!” for the foreseeable future. Though the deal was inked last month, today brings us the first fruits of Gangster Gibbs and Lil J’s partnership. Stripes (Run D MC) is a swagged-out take on Jeezy’s coke-rap formula, with Lil Lody cooking up a clattering synth-percussion backdrop for a veritable blizzard of dope slang. Gibbs is all business on the front, forgoing his usual hyperkinetic flow to match his new boss’ more measured brand of block talk. After the Midwest repper’s finished flaunting his entrepreneurial acumen and dodging the five-o, the Snowman brings the cut home with some of his trademark “Tony Montana sh* t.” So, readers, are Gibbs and Jeezy a match made in heaven? Debate away – and, as always, keep it locked for the latest news and tunes from both.
Written by richard on 05/3/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bobble Head" (2007)
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.