Outside, the sun may be shining and the birds may be chirping, but here in the the Booth the forecast is a little different; now that Gary, Indiana phenom Freddie Gibbs has officially aligned himself with Young Jeezy‘s Corporate Thugz Entertainment, it’s looking like “Snow! Snow! Snow! Snow!” for the foreseeable future. Though the deal was inked last month, today brings us the first fruits of Gangster Gibbs and Lil J’s partnership. Stripes (Run D MC) is a swagged-out take on Jeezy’s coke-rap formula, with Lil Lody cooking up a clattering synth-percussion backdrop for a veritable blizzard of dope slang. Gibbs is all business on the front, forgoing his usual hyperkinetic flow to match his new boss’ more measured brand of block talk. After the Midwest repper’s finished flaunting his entrepreneurial acumen and dodging the five-o, the Snowman brings the cut home with some of his trademark “Tony Montana sh* t.” So, readers, are Gibbs and Jeezy a match made in heaven? Debate away – and, as always, keep it locked for the latest news and tunes from both.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bobble Head" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.