Around my way, when something or someone needs to be described as good, dope or just plain authentic, people say, “That’s rough.” As for this record right here? This record right here (in my Katt Williams voice)? One of the roughest that I’ve heard in a while. And that’s because when it comes to rhyming, Jean Grae maintains her stamina. Releasing her latest record, R.I.P., featuring Talib Kweli and Styles P, Grae shows why rap is genderless and why Ski Beatz is that dude on production. Jeannie steps above her peers and delivers R.I.P. over rugged, boom-bap that sound like an invisible superhero. Her lyrical schematics outpace the general two-by-fours that most emcees present on a daily basis, whether they be male or female. Add a gentleman like Talib and a gangsta like Styles to the mix and the internet world has one of the roughest collaborations of the month (even rougher than her work with Lil B on Base for Your Face). Check for R.I.P and more from Jean Grae’s upcoming mixtape, Cookies or Comas, which has yet to receive a release date. Cookies please!
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hot Thing (Remix) ft. Ne-Yo & Jean Grae" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.