Around my way, when something or someone needs to be described as good, dope or just plain authentic, people say, “That’s rough.” As for this record right here? This record right here (in my Katt Williams voice)? One of the roughest that I’ve heard in a while. And that’s because when it comes to rhyming, Jean Grae maintains her stamina. Releasing her latest record, R.I.P., featuring Talib Kweli and Styles P, Grae shows why rap is genderless and why Ski Beatz is that dude on production. Jeannie steps above her peers and delivers R.I.P. over rugged, boom-bap that sound like an invisible superhero. Her lyrical schematics outpace the general two-by-fours that most emcees present on a daily basis, whether they be male or female. Add a gentleman like Talib and a gangsta like Styles to the mix and the internet world has one of the roughest collaborations of the month (even rougher than her work with Lil B on Base for Your Face). Check for R.I.P and more from Jean Grae’s upcoming mixtape, Cookies or Comas, which has yet to receive a release date. Cookies please!
Written by Sigmund's Dope on 03/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hot Thing (Remix) ft. Ne-Yo & Jean Grae" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.