Around my way, when something or someone needs to be described as good, dope or just plain authentic, people say, “That’s rough.” As for this record right here? This record right here (in my Katt Williams voice)? One of the roughest that I’ve heard in a while. And that’s because when it comes to rhyming, Jean Grae maintains her stamina. Releasing her latest record, R.I.P., featuring Talib Kweli and Styles P, Grae shows why rap is genderless and why Ski Beatz is that dude on production. Jeannie steps above her peers and delivers R.I.P. over rugged, boom-bap that sound like an invisible superhero. Her lyrical schematics outpace the general two-by-fours that most emcees present on a daily basis, whether they be male or female. Add a gentleman like Talib and a gangsta like Styles to the mix and the internet world has one of the roughest collaborations of the month (even rougher than her work with Lil B on Base for Your Face). Check for R.I.P and more from Jean Grae’s upcoming mixtape, Cookies or Comas, which has yet to receive a release date. Cookies please!
Written by Sigmund's Dope on 03/14/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hot Thing (Remix) ft. Ne-Yo & Jean Grae" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.