A growing trend, followed most notably by rappers Jay-Z, Biggie and Trick Daddy, is to carry a female MC under your wing. The next to join that club (believe it or not) is Talib Kweli, who has added successful underground rapper Jean Grae to his Blacksmith label. Similar to work released by Foxy, Kim and Trina, Jean puts out the sensually-charged single, Love Thirst. What sets this go-round apart, however, is that Ms. Grae’s brand of baby making music sounds more like Common‘s Go than Luda‘s What’s Your Fantasy. Let’s just say there’s actually some love involved this time. Bringing along the aphrodisiac is producer 9th Wonder; Grae’s fifth studio album, Jeanius, hits shelves later this year.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hot Thing (Remix) ft. Ne-Yo & Jean Grae" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.