In Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland (and the well-known Disney adaptation), the Queen of Wonderland was portrayed as a psychotic despot, quick to order beheadings whenever anyone displeased her in the slightest—including her husband, the diffident White King. While the relationship described by J*DaVeY frontwoman Miss Jack Davey on the Los Angeles duo’s latest single (and first solo feature) is considerably less fraught with danger, the record is every bit as off-kilter and innovative as the literary reference would suggest—starting with Davey and behind-the-scenes partner Brooke D’Leau‘s production, which incorporates talkbox gabbling, alt-rock guitar and ambient synth breakdown. Over the shapeshifting backdrop, bolstered by guest instrumentalist Thundercat‘s hyperkinetic bass stylings, the singer expresses her devotion to the man who sits on the throne next to hers, ratcheting between childish coos and punk-informed wails at the drop of a hat. If this left-of-center banger leaves you craving more, keep it locked—New Designer Drug has yet to receive a drop date, but we’ll keep you supplied with the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 11/9/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.