There are some truths that are so obvious we rarely comment on them, except to illustrate the concept of obviousness: the sky is blue, one plus one is two, JD Era goes hard, you get the picture. On You Know That, the inaugural leak off his forthcoming Th1rt3en mixtape, the Toronto up-and-comer informs listeners that, though a new decade has begun, he himself hasn’t changed one bit: “Still underrated, still one to fear, still don’t like rappers, n*gga get the f*ck outta here.” Fellow T-Dot native Beat Merchant backs the track with a tension-fraught blend of organ chords, synth-arpeggios, and choral background vocals, lending Era’s hard-hitting rhymes an ominous edge. Is this track’s openly aggressive style a better look for JD Era than the laid-back vibe he brought to his last feature, Champagne Nights? You be the jury. Either way, fans of the Ontarian up-and-comer can hear more on his new, DJ DAX-presented street album when it drops early next month.
Written by richard on 01/26/10
Submit your Rating
Black Market Music Group/Ice H2O
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Can't Front ft. JD Era & Joell Ortiz" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.