2008 was an excellent year for music, due in large part to the contributions of Philly songstress Jazmine Sullivan with her singles Need U Bad (where she couldn’t get over her man), Bust Your Windows (where she was this close to murdering her man), and Lions, Tigers, and Bears (where she was afraid to love her man). Now, if she’s courting this same gentleman in 2010, her newest single Holding You Down (where she’s discovered her man cheating) indicates she really needs to find a new love, but her pain’s the benefit of us music lovers. Frequent production partner Missy Elliot puts together an audio collage made of various samples - the most prominent being the soft, acoustic, Latin-flavored guitarplay that Nas has also been noted for sampling - but it all blends together to form a beautiful mosaic that’s sure to please any and all who give it a listen. Holding You Down will be featured on Sullivan’s forthcoming sophomore album, Love Me Back, which currently has no set release date. Stay with the Booth for updates.
Written by Matty K on 07/1/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Need U Bad" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.