2008 was an excellent year for music, due in large part to the contributions of Philly songstress Jazmine Sullivan with her singles Need U Bad (where she couldn’t get over her man), Bust Your Windows (where she was this close to murdering her man), and Lions, Tigers, and Bears (where she was afraid to love her man). Now, if she’s courting this same gentleman in 2010, her newest single Holding You Down (where she’s discovered her man cheating) indicates she really needs to find a new love, but her pain’s the benefit of us music lovers. Frequent production partner Missy Elliot puts together an audio collage made of various samples - the most prominent being the soft, acoustic, Latin-flavored guitarplay that Nas has also been noted for sampling - but it all blends together to form a beautiful mosaic that’s sure to please any and all who give it a listen. Holding You Down will be featured on Sullivan’s forthcoming sophomore album, Love Me Back, which currently has no set release date. Stay with the Booth for updates.
Written by Matty K on 07/1/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Need U Bad" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.