Back in June, Jay Z made history by selling a million copies of an album weeks before it was scheduled to drop. In July, he followed that feat up by making his and director Mike Romanek‘s Picasso Baby video one of the most talked-about in recent history… nearly a month in advance of its debut. Now that Internet raconteurs have dissected the unorthodox shoot, which took the form of an impromptu dance party at NYC’s Pace Gallery, from every conceivable angle, we finally get a look at the finished product. After an opening scene in which Hova outlines his vision for the piece (“That’s what’s really exciting for me: bringing the worlds [of hip-hop and art] back together.”), Timbaland‘s beat drops and we see Shawn Carter getting down with the likes of Marina Abramović (whose 2010 installation, The Artist Is Present, inspired the video), Lorna Simpson and Andres Serrano, along with a variety of celebrities from outside the art world. Time to weigh in, readers: is Jay Z’s latest stunt brilliant, awful, or somewhere in between? Whatever your take, you can (of course) pick up Magna Carta Holy Grail wherever fine music is sold.
Written by richard on 08/4/13
Hip-hop has always been a youth-driven culture. As each new generation of rapper emerged, they would in turn kill off their rap parents in some sort of reverse-musical-infanticide. Assuming a rapper wasn’t literally killed...
Roc Nation/Universal Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Deja Vu" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.