Back in June, Jay Z made history by selling a million copies of an album weeks before it was scheduled to drop. In July, he followed that feat up by making his and director Mike Romanek‘s Picasso Baby video one of the most talked-about in recent history… nearly a month in advance of its debut. Now that Internet raconteurs have dissected the unorthodox shoot, which took the form of an impromptu dance party at NYC’s Pace Gallery, from every conceivable angle, we finally get a look at the finished product. After an opening scene in which Hova outlines his vision for the piece (“That’s what’s really exciting for me: bringing the worlds [of hip-hop and art] back together.”), Timbaland‘s beat drops and we see Shawn Carter getting down with the likes of Marina Abramović (whose 2010 installation, The Artist Is Present, inspired the video), Lorna Simpson and Andres Serrano, along with a variety of celebrities from outside the art world. Time to weigh in, readers: is Jay Z’s latest stunt brilliant, awful, or somewhere in between? Whatever your take, you can (of course) pick up Magna Carta Holy Grail wherever fine music is sold.
Written by richard on 08/4/13
Submit your Rating
Roc Nation/Universal Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Deja Vu" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.