Earlier this morning, without fanfare or warning, Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter unleashed an Open Letter to listeners via his Life+Times site. The primary subject of this royal proclamation, as you may have guessed, is his and Beyoncé‘s recent visit to Cuba, which has caused much indignation among the Fox News crowd. In addition to pointing out the hypocrisy of those who would accuse him of supporting communism while ignoring America’s intimate ties to the People’s Republic of China, Jay speaks on his recent publishing deal with Universal Records and his plans to sell his stake in the Brooklyn Nets franchise. Heavyweight producers Swizz Beatz and Timbaland provide a sparse chopped-sample backdrop for this lyrical broadside. Open Letter is just a loosie but, rest assured, we’ll keep you supplied with the latest from Hov and the rest of the Roc Nation camp.
Written by richard on 04/11/13
Roc Nation/Universal Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Deja Vu" (2006)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.