Last week, Jay-Z announced that Samsung had purchased one million copies of forthcoming album Magna Carta Holy Grail for free digital distribution, effectively achieving Platinum certification weeks before the LP’s July 4, release. That revelation momentarily drew the spotlight away from the other reigning king of hip-hop, The Throne partner-in-rhyme Kanye West, whose massively-anticipated Yeezus would hit stores one day later. This Throwback Thursday, we thought we’d hit the “rewind” button and revisit the track that, more than any other, set the stage for Hova and Yeezy’s ensuing domination of the rap game. Released in summer 2001 as the lead single off Jay’s seminal The Blueprint LP, Izzo (H.O.V.A.) finds Mr. Carter spitting some of his most indelible lines (“Show them how to move in a room full of vultures…”) over West’s diabolically catchy sampling of Jackson 5 classic I Want You Back. While you listen, take a moment to marvel at Dave Meyer‘s prophetic visuals, which feature cameos by Barclays and Jay-Z’s future wife, as well as appearances from Kanye, Eve and OutKast.
Written by richard on 06/20/13
Submit your Rating
Roc Nation/Universal Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Deja Vu" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.