Last week, Jay-Z announced that Samsung had purchased one million copies of forthcoming album Magna Carta Holy Grail for free digital distribution, effectively achieving Platinum certification weeks before the LP’s July 4, release. That revelation momentarily drew the spotlight away from the other reigning king of hip-hop, The Throne partner-in-rhyme Kanye West, whose massively-anticipated Yeezus would hit stores one day later. This Throwback Thursday, we thought we’d hit the “rewind” button and revisit the track that, more than any other, set the stage for Hova and Yeezy’s ensuing domination of the rap game. Released in summer 2001 as the lead single off Jay’s seminal The Blueprint LP, Izzo (H.O.V.A.) finds Mr. Carter spitting some of his most indelible lines (“Show them how to move in a room full of vultures…”) over West’s diabolically catchy sampling of Jackson 5 classic I Want You Back. While you listen, take a moment to marvel at Dave Meyer‘s prophetic visuals, which feature cameos by Barclays and Jay-Z’s future wife, as well as appearances from Kanye, Eve and OutKast.
Roc Nation/Universal Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Deja Vu" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.