Though one million lucky owners of Samsung phones had the opportunity to download Jay-Z‘s latest album on the Fourth, the rest of us are still waiting ever-so-patiently for the project’s retail release tomorrow. And by “waiting patiently,” I mean, “already listening to the leak, which we downloaded first thing Thursday morning.” In any case, Hov has been thoughtful enough to liberate the opening track off the set, Holy Grail, as an appetizer for its imminent arrival. An appropriately bombastic intro to an epic LP, this cut opens with nearly a minute-and-a-half of solo vocals from Jay’s Suit & Tie collaborator, Justin Timberlake, after which the Dream/Timbaland/Jerome “J-Roc” Harmon/No ID-produced beat drops and Shawn Carter hits the ground running, toasting his longevity and financial success in lofty verses. On the bridge, J.T. cribs a few (paraphrased) lines form Nirvana’s Smells Like Teen Spirit. Following Tuesday’s release of Magna Carta Holy Grail, Jay-Z and Timberlake will be embarking on their Legends of Summer North American tour. Click here to learn when they’ll be visiting a city near you.
Written by richard on 07/8/13
Submit your Rating
Roc Nation/Universal Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Deja Vu" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.