Though one million lucky owners of Samsung phones had the opportunity to download Jay-Z‘s latest album on the Fourth, the rest of us are still waiting ever-so-patiently for the project’s retail release tomorrow. And by “waiting patiently,” I mean, “already listening to the leak, which we downloaded first thing Thursday morning.” In any case, Hov has been thoughtful enough to liberate the opening track off the set, Holy Grail, as an appetizer for its imminent arrival. An appropriately bombastic intro to an epic LP, this cut opens with nearly a minute-and-a-half of solo vocals from Jay’s Suit & Tie collaborator, Justin Timberlake, after which the Dream/Timbaland/Jerome “J-Roc” Harmon/No ID-produced beat drops and Shawn Carter hits the ground running, toasting his longevity and financial success in lofty verses. On the bridge, J.T. cribs a few (paraphrased) lines form Nirvana’s Smells Like Teen Spirit. Following Tuesday’s release of Magna Carta Holy Grail, Jay-Z and Timberlake will be embarking on their Legends of Summer North American tour. Click here to learn when they’ll be visiting a city near you.
Written by richard on 07/8/13
Hip-hop has always been a youth-driven culture. As each new generation of rapper emerged, they would in turn kill off their rap parents in some sort of reverse-musical-infanticide. Assuming a rapper wasn’t literally killed...
Roc Nation/Universal Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Deja Vu" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.