Back in early June, Jay-Z gave us the first taste of Blueprint 3 with D.O.A. (Death of Auto-Tune), a buzz record released for the express purpose of creating interest through controversy (and whaddayaknow, it worked!) In contrast to that cut’s contentious message, the central thesis of the first official single is one that few could argue with: Hova’s back, and he and his crew are gonna Run This Town. Released last Friday at exactly 9:11 AM, the record may be preaching to the choir, but, featuring a mid-tempo, piano/electric guitar beat coproduced by Chi-town icons No I.D. and Kanye West (the latter of whom also steps up to the mic for a closing verse), as well as a high-powered hook by Bajan hitmaker Rihanna, it’s certainly got the star power to keep the nation on lock. Jay’s own lyrical prowess is, of course, on full display here; his braggadocio-laden bars leave no doubt as to why he’s one of the most renowned names in today’s game. This single is sure to stir up yet more anticipation for the final entry in Hova’s acclaimed trilogy, set to hit stores September 11th off the artist’s own Roc Nation imprint.
Roc Nation/Universal Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Deja Vu" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.