Back in early June, Jay-Z gave us the first taste of Blueprint 3 with D.O.A. (Death of Auto-Tune), a buzz record released for the express purpose of creating interest through controversy (and whaddayaknow, it worked!) In contrast to that cut’s contentious message, the central thesis of the first official single is one that few could argue with: Hova’s back, and he and his crew are gonna Run This Town. Released last Friday at exactly 9:11 AM, the record may be preaching to the choir, but, featuring a mid-tempo, piano/electric guitar beat coproduced by Chi-town icons No I.D. and Kanye West (the latter of whom also steps up to the mic for a closing verse), as well as a high-powered hook by Bajan hitmaker Rihanna, it’s certainly got the star power to keep the nation on lock. Jay’s own lyrical prowess is, of course, on full display here; his braggadocio-laden bars leave no doubt as to why he’s one of the most renowned names in today’s game. This single is sure to stir up yet more anticipation for the final entry in Hova’s acclaimed trilogy, set to hit stores September 11th off the artist’s own Roc Nation imprint.
Written by richard on 07/26/09
Submit your Rating
Roc Nation/Universal Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Deja Vu" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.