In recent years, Jay-Z‘s earned a reputation as a “trend-killer,” contributing to the demise of jerseys as a hip-hop fashion statement with a line on What More Can I Say and, more recently, taking aim at Auto-Tune on the controversial D.O.A. On Blueprint 3 track Off That Hova tackles a few more trends that have overstayed their welcome—baggy clothes & chains, Timberlands, and big rims notably fall under his crosshairs—over a beat by Timbaland (the thriving producer, not the near-extinct trend), collaborating with Jay for the first time since the rapper’s “retirement.” What’s going to replace these waning fashions? Well, there’s nothing more “in” than a guest appearances from Drake, who provides Hova some moral support on the hook. Expect the typical “why (is) this old man hating?” comments from those wishing to keep such fashions afloat. Among those ready for a change, however, Off That might just reach “anthem” status. Watch for Nathan S.‘s take on The Blueprint 3 to hit the Booth Sept 10, one day before the album’s release on the 11th.
Roc Nation/Universal Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Deja Vu" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.