In recent years, Jay-Z‘s earned a reputation as a “trend-killer,” contributing to the demise of jerseys as a hip-hop fashion statement with a line on What More Can I Say and, more recently, taking aim at Auto-Tune on the controversial D.O.A. On Blueprint 3 track Off That Hova tackles a few more trends that have overstayed their welcome—baggy clothes & chains, Timberlands, and big rims notably fall under his crosshairs—over a beat by Timbaland (the thriving producer, not the near-extinct trend), collaborating with Jay for the first time since the rapper’s “retirement.” What’s going to replace these waning fashions? Well, there’s nothing more “in” than a guest appearances from Drake, who provides Hova some moral support on the hook. Expect the typical “why (is) this old man hating?” comments from those wishing to keep such fashions afloat. Among those ready for a change, however, Off That might just reach “anthem” status. Watch for Nathan S.‘s take on The Blueprint 3 to hit the Booth Sept 10, one day before the album’s release on the 11th.
Written by Burmy on 08/24/09
Submit your Rating
Roc Nation/Universal Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Deja Vu" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- DJ Drama ft. Young Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Right Back
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.