Triple-threat musician Ryan Leslie notably opened his 2008, hit record Diamond Girl by exclaiming “They tried to put me in a box.” Since we know that Leslie is not a contortionist it is easy to deduce that his comments refereed to society’s (or more specifically, “the industry”) obsession with pigeonholing artists. Nearly three years later, it sounds like Cash Money resident crooner Jay Sean has experienced some of those same exact feelings. Though new mixtape track Say Yeah doesn’t begin with Sean making pointed comments about the sound or style of his newest work, it is clear that he has decided to change things up. Here the London native retains his longtime production collaborators OFM (made up of J Remy, Bobbybass and Khaled), but instead of sticking with the club-oriented and pop-centric stylings of past singles 2012 or Hit The Lights he opts for a more upbeat, R&B feel. Along for the ride on Say Yeah is emcee Lupe Fiasco, whose own anti-industry sentiments have been well documented over the past five years (see Lasers). Can’t wait for the November release of Sean’s sophomore domestic release, Freeze Time? Well, you’re in luck. The brand new The Mistress mixtape drops for free download on Tuesday.
Written by DJ Z on 09/5/11
Submit your Rating
Jayded/Cash Money/Universal Republic
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Just A Friend" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.