Update: Click “Watch Video” above to view Jay Rock’s Fredo Tovar and Scott Fleishman-directed video.
If you’re sitting in front of your Macbook right now listening to Jay Rock‘s latest cut wondering what quirky, cutesy saying YOLA is an acronym for then please stop now. We’re dealing with Top Dawg Entertainment‘s resident tough guy, not a Care Bear, so according to Urban Dictionary YOLA is in fact another word for cocaine. Regardless of acronyms and slang phrases, the Black Hippy spitter has finally dropped his first solo feature on DJBooth since the March release of Checkmate. Rock sports a unique flow on the record, which some might say resembles labelmate Kendrick Lamar, as he lyrically boasts about having that A-1 (no steak sauce). digi+phonics producer Dave Free keeps the record lightly West Coast with his combination of synths and rattling bass. Circle your calender for tomorrow, Day 3 of TDE‘s new week-long thank you series.
Written by Danielle H. on 09/18/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.