While Kendrick Lamar enjoys his status as hip-hop’s current favorite Californian newcomer, it can be easy to forget about the rest of the TDE collective. It’s a good thing for Jay Rock that there’s more than enough sunshine to go around on the left coast - as he shows on the feel-good single-worthy, Westside. Produced by radio-friendly instrumentalists Tha Bizness, you can almost feel the rays of sun beaming through your computer screen as the triumphant instrumental takes form. It’s a bright enough backdrop to make even the always hard-rhyming Rock sound, dare I say it, warm and inviting, at least when it comes to fine females. And with a feature from the suddenly unstoppable Chris Brown on the hook, this is definitely a track to ride to (with your windows rolled all the way down, of course). Delay after delay, Jay Rock’s full-length album Follow Me Home is finally set to drop this Tuesday, July 26 on Tech N9ne’s label, Strange Music. I have a feeling this Westcoaster will have a few more people following him after this project.
Written by Jon Garcia on 07/24/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.