While Kendrick Lamar enjoys his status as hip-hop’s current favorite Californian newcomer, it can be easy to forget about the rest of the TDE collective. It’s a good thing for Jay Rock that there’s more than enough sunshine to go around on the left coast - as he shows on the feel-good single-worthy, Westside. Produced by radio-friendly instrumentalists Tha Bizness, you can almost feel the rays of sun beaming through your computer screen as the triumphant instrumental takes form. It’s a bright enough backdrop to make even the always hard-rhyming Rock sound, dare I say it, warm and inviting, at least when it comes to fine females. And with a feature from the suddenly unstoppable Chris Brown on the hook, this is definitely a track to ride to (with your windows rolled all the way down, of course). Delay after delay, Jay Rock’s full-length album Follow Me Home is finally set to drop this Tuesday, July 26 on Tech N9ne’s label, Strange Music. I have a feeling this Westcoaster will have a few more people following him after this project.
Written by Jon Garcia on 07/24/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.