Jay Rock has been making noise on the mixtape scene for a while, but now with major label backing from Warner Bros. he hopes to make his mark on the hip-hop world. The first thing you notice about Jay Rock on the single, Lift Me Up, is his distinctive voice; a cross between the late Notorious B.I.G. and the currently incarcerated, Shyne. Jay’s lyrical ability is undeniable, and the keyboards from producer 4th Quarter are a nice touch. It should be exciting to see what the future holds for the west coast MC as he continues his rise up.
Written by Chris on 03/7/07
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"West Really ft. The Game & Jay Rock" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.