Jay Rock has been making noise on the mixtape scene for a while, but now with major label backing from Warner Bros. he hopes to make his mark on the hip-hop world. The first thing you notice about Jay Rock on the single, Lift Me Up, is his distinctive voice; a cross between the late Notorious B.I.G. and the currently incarcerated, Shyne. Jay’s lyrical ability is undeniable, and the keyboards from producer 4th Quarter are a nice touch. It should be exciting to see what the future holds for the west coast MC as he continues his rise up.
Written by Chris on 03/7/07
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"West Really ft. The Game & Jay Rock" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.