Some rappers bend over backwards to give the people what they want, trying to be everything to everyone (and succeeding only once in a great while). Jay Rock, on the other hand, could care less whether or not you appreciate his gritty, street-oriented brand of hip-hop—The Hood Gone Love It and, as far as he’s concerned, that’s all that really matters. As you might expect, then, the Los Angeles repper’s latest album leak is one whose appeal will vary in direct proportion to your proximity to the block. Over J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League‘s appropriately street-anthemic production, a swirling blend of string samples and slow-rolling percussion, the freestyle series alum provides an object lesson in “keepin’ it G” on the front and back. It’s guest emcee Kendrick Lamar, however, who steals the show, lacing the middle with vivid descriptions of inner-city ambiance “The public house, the plastic couch of a Section 8 tenant / The regal window is tinted, the air conditioner’s broke, but I’m cool enough to ensure you my ride is an Eskimo.” So, Booth readers, are you hood enough to fully appreciate this jam? If so, you’re part of the target audience for Jay Rock’s debut set,Follow Me Home, due out July 28.
Written by richard on 06/22/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.